Wednesday 6 September 2006

Books, books, books .......

Books? Well I just love them. I have done all of my life. I love libraries and I am an avid reader. I have been working through the book by Sandra Meech this past little while.

I went to an art quilt exhibition in the Collins Gallery in Glasgow last year and saw Sandra's work there - Quilt Art 20th Anniversary - it was brilliant. I have printed to fabric for years, long before it became as popular as it is today, and was interested in Sandra's technique of getting images on fabric. Actually that's what led me to getting Golden Gel Mediums. I never did try her technique with the gels as I got side tracked experimenting with it with paints etc. (Like you do). Some books are nice coffee table books others you just have to work through - this is one of the ones you just have to work through .
As you can see I have been actively using Sandra's book. This is my first colour study from a primary source. A photograph I took when we visited Iceland. I have the fabrics chosen from my stash but I think I can improve on them. This was a first pass. Here is another colour study this time from a photograph I took of a flower in the garden. I used a 3" apperture to select the section of photograph I wanted. I had printed the photograph a4 size. I can see both colour studies becoming quilts.
It arrived this morning!!! Well it should have been here yesterday but we were both in our respective workshops, the postman called thought we were out and left the package with my neighbour. My neighbour called this morning as we were having breakfast to deliver it. It's just as well I didn't receive it yesterday otherwise my silk book and quilt would never have been finished. I have already read through the first chapter and can't wait to sit down and read more ....... in fact I can't wait to start the design exercises. I have already looked out objects to "draw". That's a joke really because I can't draw - BUT I try.

I don't want to get sidetracked as I want to make another journal quilt before the week is out and we will be out and about over the next few days so time is tight.

Some of the quilts that were exhibited at the Collins Gallery last year are included in Sandra's book. It's lovely to have seen them up close. My sewing machine awaits! She tells me she is teaching in Peebles later this month ..... sadly I didn't renew my membership to the Embroiderers Guild so I couldn't attend.

No comments: