Saturday 24 March 2007

Gaudi Windows - Progress

Here is the painted, stitched and heated tyvek. I wanted these pieces to represent the windows in one of the images of Gaudi's work.
Yesterday I added some aluminium shim, once again emulating the shape of the windows (artistic licence here!). I thought it was a little bit too blue and so I added some Treasure Gold but it didn't have the effect I was looking for. It seemed too dull. I used some gold paint and gold embossing powder over the treasure gold and heated it with the heat gun. That gave me the result I wanted.
I have added some shisha mirrors to the tyvek "windows". I just glued them in place rather than stitching them as shisha mirrors are normally stitched. I think it would be too much with the stitching.
I still have some aluminium shapes to add to this piece but it shows how it looked after the embossing powder was added.
Here is the whole piece as it will look when it's finished. I still have some stitching to do. I also want to add beads and then it has to be layered and either bound like a quilt or I am thinking it might be better with either a satin stitch (which might be too heavy) or a zig zag around the edge. I need a hanging device and I want to hang some hang beads between one or two of the sections. If I have enough time I will try and get that done today - we shall see how it goes.

Sorry about the pictures but the sun is behind the studio this morning and I needed to have the lights on.

8 comments:

bookwraps by suz.com said...

oh WOW Carol ! this project is awesome...looking forward to seeing the finished piece...

Dianne said...

I haven't commented on this Gadi inspired piece, well it is turning out fantastic. You know how crasy I am about Senor Gaudi.. This will be exciting for me to see all the art done for this challenge.
I love the piece, lot of work on it but i sure is worth it....

Tonniece said...

I too am waiting for the finished piece, but am enoying watching it in the makeing.

Purple Missus said...

This is fantastic Carol. Love what you've done with the aluminium shim. I agree, I think satin stitch would be too heavy around the edges. Could you not use some sort of detached filling stitch to join the pieces together into which you could incorporate the beads?

arlee said...

I like the flow of the aluminum balanced by the less obvious movement of the left side----a wonderful depth and dimension is happening

Carol said...

Thank you ladies for your feedback it is much appreciated.

I left the piece alone yesterday, no time to play. I will leave it today as I have no time in the studio (teaching). I have a couple of ideas I am thinking about and need to try out. I will keep you posted on its progress

Digitalgran said...

I can see you are having a whale of a time with this Gaudi window Carol and it's going to be fantastic. Thanks for sharing your method.

Judy Scott said...

I love your "artistic licence" its amazing, thankyou for showing us the process. Brilliant work, Judy xx