Saturday 19 May 2007

The Artist's Muse - Chapter 2

The second chapter in The Artist's Muse book was flowers. I have tried, without success, to do something using the wet-on-wet technique. I think I need more practice but will try again. In the meantime I did an abstract flower using reverse applique, satin stitched edges and free motion stitching in the petals and leaves.
I chose two cards as well this time. One was to use a geometric shape and the second one was to achieve a subtle yet shimmering quality. I used silk organza for the circles and free motion zigzag around the outside and inner circles and free motion straight stitching for the lines that come out from the circles.

7 comments:

Susan D said...

Wet in wet can be pretty hard to master can't it but I love your flower it's got the WOW factor. I think I'll have a go at some sewing for this 2nd challenge.

Joanna said...

I'd love to see how you progress with wet on wet. I tried it yesterday with painting backgrounds on fabric. I like it if you want a soft pastel. I guess the mastery is if you try to do objects. I'd like to have a go at this more...like you hopefully in the future! Your flower is great...and I really like the background on it.

Joanna

Digitalgran said...

Wonderful work as usual Carol. I wish I had the time to do The Artist's Muse with you.

Alis Clair said...

These pieces are just gorgeous Carol.

Tonniece said...

I like your flower Carol, and the circles are really intresting too.
I like the look with the free motion stitch lines on them.

Nola said...

Both pieces are really interesting. The flower shape is very strong and I love the free motion stitching, especially on the petals. Did the background shapes fall like that serendipitously or was your clever choice? It looks almost like a fence or treetrunks behind, with leaf litter or shadows below it. The other one is really good too. I like the combination of smoothness and spikiness, strength from the colours you've used that contrasts with the lightness of the organza. Looking good!

Barbara said...

I like the flower and i know how difficult it is to create one!Well done!