Well two new books. The first is the last in the Harry Potter series. I am a fan of these books having read them from the beginning - I didn't stay up until midnight last night this time. Norman, who normally rises much later than me in the mornings, was up very early and was back with the book before I even rose, what a star he is. I have the DVDs as well but much prefer the books I prefer reading to watching movies. There was a guy being interviewed on Jeremy Kyle saying if anyone over a certain age (I think it was 20) read Harry Potter books then they didn't have a life, were uneducated and so he went on. I wonder what he would say if he saw these:
I bought this panel after seeing it at eQuilter a few years ago. It is heavily machine quilted as I used the panel as a way of practicing my machine quilting using a variety of different threads including metallics. It was hung in the local quilt shop where I used to teach when the next HP book was issued. I could have sold it a hundred times over - but as you can see I didn't.
I also found some more wonderful Harry Potter fabric at eQuilter and made this Lone Star quilt as a sample for my Lone Star class. It's free machine quilted using a variegated thread which makes the back look like a whole cloth quilt. Although I have made many lone star quilts since, this is still my favourite.
And the other book I mentioned:
I made the covers for this book from punchinella and dyed/painted fabric the other day and was wondering how I could make the pages. I wanted something a little different from what I have been doing this past little while. I wanted something to store samples of the hand embroidery stitches I will be practicing for my online Sumptuous Surfaces class at Joggles with Sharon Boggon (she's the lady who does Take a Stitch Tuesday TAST). I have admired Sharon's work for many years and often refer to her stitch dictionary. I couldn't resist signing up for her new class.
I have used cardstock for this - from the lovely collection I bought at the card mill shop - as I think it will hold the hand embroidery. It has a lovely subtle texture. I left it blank as it's just an experiment at the moment. If it works out I may paint each page before I add the stitch samples so the colours match.
This morning I took each pair and joined them together in the same way as before. I am leaving them to dry and will join the two sets of four when the glue has dried.
In the meantime I have satin stitched around the outside cover of the book.
Sorry about the quality of this picture. This is the cover almost complete. I have some embellishment to do yet. I am not quite sure what to add but I am sure it will speak to me in the next little while. I will post a picture of the finished book.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing this book progressing. I have thoroughly enjoyed researching book making and the various ways they can be made and incorporating them into my own art and designing this little book.
If the book turns out OK , and it looks as though it might, I will write a tutorial on how to make it if anyone is interested. Let me know.
I am itching to get started another "book" idea. Norman brought me in some dowelling for it this afternoon so I have everything to hand. Watch this space. In the meantime The Deathly Hallows is waiting - I am 4 chapters in already! I think Norman will be making dinner tonight.