Tuesday 14 August 2007

A Trip down Memory Lane

We spent the day in Glasgow yesterday. The first place we visited was Scotland Street School. It was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. (Check the link to learn more about CRM).

This is detail of the school gates.

When you look up to the top of the building you see this lovely stonework.

The windows are fantastic.

Even the street lamps are beautiful.

The counting blocks brought back memories of my primary school days. The little white ones were No 1, the next red ones No 2 ....... and so on.

I bet not many visitors go to the back of the building. It's not very inviting as the playground is a little worn and overgrown in places but it's well worth taking a look.

This stonework is abstract thistles - the flower of Scotland.

One of the classrooms was laid out as it would have been during WW2. It had evacuation instructions on the blackboard and a collection of boxes which I guess held gas masks.

Another of the classrooms was laid out as it would have been in Victorian times. I love the Victorian era. The attention to detail and all that wrought iron work on the legs of the desks is wonderful.

The cookery classroom was fascinating. The windows reminded me of stained glass but rather than coloured glass they had pictures of former pupils.

The range is beautifully preserved and has so much detail on it.

I had never seen one of these chalk holders. Fascinating.

A beautiful 1852 sampler. There were a collection of toys like whips & peeries, hoola hoops, skipping ropes, diablos and another one whose name I don't know. It was a metal hoop with a rod attached. I had a go of it but don't know what it's called - it was before my time. There were also high tech games for the kids to try. All-in-all although it was a bit before my time it was a good visit.

We then went to the Botanic Gardens where I took hundred of photographs some of which I am sure will find there way to my blog in due course.

8 comments:

Nola said...

Oh wow, I'll have to put the school on my list for our visit next year! I really like CRM's work.

Alis Clair said...

What a fabulous building. Really interesting post and great photos to go with it.

McIrish Annie said...

Carol, love the pics of your charms and the school you visited. the chalk holder was great! it is used to draw lines on the blackboard.My teacher would draw lines on the board so we could practice cursive writing.

Donna said...

I've never been much of a history buff, but you make the school sound interesting enough I'd love to visit :-). I remember a teacher having a chalk holder like that -- we got to practice writing vertically, large on the blackboard and to see how letters were supposed to fit between the lines on our pages.... It was also used in music class to draw musical staves...

Sandy said...

What wonderful details on the school. They sure don't make things like that any more. The charms and your use of them are clever. Sandy

JannArt said...

What wonderful photos. I love the sampler. It looks like you had a really good time.

Linty said...

The hoop you talk of is a 'cleak and gir' not sure of the spelling. I love visiting this school too, CRM was a brilliant architect so symetrical.

Lindi said...

Lots of quilt designs hiding in those photos.
I'd forgotten about Cuisinaire Rods! (Counting blocks)I can remember using them to do sums in 2nd class. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.