Sunday 28 October 2007

Cyanotype (Blueprinting) - revisited

I have had a few emails asking questions about my post yesterday about my cyanotype image.

Yesterday's image was created using fabric that I treated with two chemicals Potassium ferricyanide and Ferric ammonium citrate which I mixed with water and applied to my fabric.

I have just placed an order from Fibrecrafts for some new chemicals to do some more experimenting.

I first tried blueprinting when I was doing my City & Guilds course. I bought a kit which included the above book and five or six 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" squares of pre treated fabric.

These are my very first experiments that I did at college. These were done about 6 or 7 years ago. I was trying different leaves to see how they worked.

As you can see some leaves worked better than others.

The ferns worked the best of all.

I tried some skelton leaves and pieces taken from a pine tree. Some of the more solid leaves aren't so good but they could be enhanced with stitch.

These five pieces are all the same colour in real life.

As you can see from the above picture the pre treated pieces are much darker than the piece I showed you yesterday which has turned out much lighter.

Having tried the pre treated pieces I thought it would be an idea to treat my own fabrics and so I bought the chemicals. I wanted to try the technique on hand dyed fabrics and also to produce larger pieces. I plan on experimenting with the technique again. I will share my results with you.

Norman was at his Apple Mac class in Glasgow last week and he brought me these feathers home. He said he was sure I would be able to do something wonderful with them. Hmmm! I can't think what to do with them yet - I am sure I will come up with something. The blue/purple one is huge!

UPDATE:

I have been researching cyanotype as I get prepared for the chemicals arriving. I got to thinking I wonder if I can use the computer for digital cyanotypes. I am still researching but I found what I was looking for. I think it's my background in computing that always gets me thinking along the digital route. Here is a great site about digital cyanotypes. I knew there must be a way of using software to prepare a negative. I was thinking of printing on transparencies this site is just what I was looking for.

9 comments:

Donna said...

thanks for the "tour" re the blue dying -- its a fascinating intro...

arlee said...

I like the second very soft one actually. Intriguing process.

Sandy said...

Love your pieces. I've only used pretreated fabrics. Sandy

Barbara said...

That an interesting journey through the blue coloured land! Thanks for sharing!

Beertje Zonn said...

Beautiful blue printing!
Kind regards,

Sonnja, from the Netherlands

Dianne said...

These look great - I've never seen this process before.....

Dianne said...

I love them too even the light fade ones, the site was very interesting.. That Norman what a sweet heart, hugs to both of you..

Tonniece said...

These are beautiful Carol.
I'm leaning more to the darker ones, but gosh it's a hard call, as they are all lovely.

Digitalgran said...

Hi Carol, as usual you have me going again. Many years ago I did this on a course with Rosemary Muntus using the computer and have aways wanted to have a go again at home, so I think I will also be going to order some of that stuff from Fibrecrafts. I'll try and find my old samples. Thanks again for inspiring me.