Thursday 8 May 2008

.... then to Toledo, Ohio

before we left Middlebury we visited Shipshewana and then on to Goshen. There was a lovely art centre in Goshen called the Old Bag Factory. It was lovely and a great space with interesting artists. We chatted to a few of people in the galleries. There was a quilt designer there and her quilts were absolutely stunning. You can see some her work here.

There was a lovely lady called Diane Overmeyer who we chatted to, her gallery was beautiful.

We left Goshen and headed for Toledo, Ohio. We attended the model engineering exhibition which was great, Norman was in his element. He made a few contacts as he is planning on building an American loco next so he has contacts for his castings etc. I did see a quilt there! A lady had made a quilt of a traction engine which was lovely.

The day after the exhibition we made our way to Louisville, Kentucky. This was just an overnight stay in a beautiful Holiday Inn. It too was very quiet but it was luxurious. I wish we had stayed a little longer in Louisville as there were many interesting places to see - the Casius Clay museum and many others. The Kentucky Derby was due to take place a week or so after we left.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you eat family style at Das Essenhaus or off the menu? Family style is best. Das Essenhaus is my favorite place to eat. When I go to Shippshewanna I spend hours at Yoders. My sister drops me off there and she checks out the other shops while I select fabric. I see from your earlier posts that you were in my hometown, Chicago. I live downtown and my condo can be seen in your photos. I was at the quilt show all 4 days. I took Lois Jarvis' rust dyeing class and I bought the CD too. We must have crossed paths that week.

Deb Hardman said...

It looks like you have been having some fun Carol.

I loved Shippshewanna. We stayed there for 3 days one summer & really shopped til we dropped. It's a great little town.

Clothmatters said...

Lovely blog and generous tutorials. I will certainly bookmark your blog for future visits.
Connie

Tonniece said...

Hi Carol

Just getting caught up on all I've missed here, and WOW,WOW, WOW.
Not at all surprised at all the wonderful works you've done.

Sounds like you and Norman had a super great trip to the US.(would have loved seeing Norman's face around the trains)

Hope you have a great weekend there
Hugs
Tonni

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Carol:
I stopped at your blog because I am going to participate in the 2008 BJP. I was quite surprised to see pictures of Shipshewana which is 23 minutes away from me. AND I was born in Chicago and go there frequently. I am glad you visited our colorful Midwest. It gave me pause to think about all the places you visited that are just second nature to us because we visit frequently. I can't wait to read your entire postings. Nice to meet you.