Friday, 6 June 2008

Getting caught up

I am not sure where the time goes. May was hectic, more hectic than usual so I had little time in the studio.

I did my first professional quilt judging in early May. I was so nervous but I needn't have been. I had a lovely day. Ruth, the Director of the Loch Lomond Quilt Show was lovely and I was judging with another lovely lady who is also doing the judging course with me, Fiona, we had a busy day but we had a laugh as well.

The following day was our Jurying session for the course to fulfill Module 5. I had a dreadful day. By mid-morning I had a headache and by the end of the day had a full-blown migraine. Driving home from Peebles to Livingston, about an hour, with a migraine was no fun at all I can tell you. Norman was away in Harrogate at the model engineering exhibition that day otherwise I would have called him to pick me up to save me driving. I have just finished writing up my course work for assessment - it will bear no resemblance to what we did on the day I am sure of that.

We went to the wedding of a dear friend of ours in Perth. It was a glorious day and the wedding was wonderful - I even wore a fascinator - very sex and the city (well maybe not).

I seldom start something and don't finish it so here are a few pictures of the last part of our trip to Chicago.

This road sign was taken in Middlebury. I just couldn't resist taking a snap of it.

We spent a day in Marion and drove the Amish trail. It was a gorgeous day, very warm. The Quilt Show in Paducah is such a big event for the area. Luckily we visited here before the show started so it was nice and quiet.

We visited the Quilters Museum in Paducah on the Tuesday before the quilt show opened. I was so glad as I was able to see all the quilts with no crowds. The quilts were fabulous.

This was Eleanour Burns Quilt in a Day shop. She had another HUGE area just on the outskirts of the town which was also a park and ride. It was really busy but fun. The fabric bolts were being taken around the area on fork lift trucks!

I managed to spend some time in the studio the other day. This was a personal trade with ladies from a n online group I am a member of. This piece started as pale blue hand dyed velvet with a painted nappy (daiper) liner stitched on top. The motif was stitched on the Bernina using the embroidery unit. I didn't much care for the colour when it was finished. Since I had nothing to loose I dipped the whole thing in silk paint - a very deep orange - and this is how it came out. I love it, especially all the different colours the nappy liner and the variegated thread motif turned .

The motifs were stitched on Romeo hot water soluble. The background is silk.

This one is the same with a plain silk background and the motif stitched in variegated thread.

This piece has a background of silk with painted and heated nappy liner. I also painted the stitched motif and added some coloured wax to the top.

This piece also has a silk background with the motif stitched using variegated threads.


Joanna van said...

Carol, I received your lovely PC! And, it's so great to have in person. I'm glad your "mistake" turned into something great. Thanks!

Sandy said...

Using the embroidery unit made a nice piece. I may actually use mine for more than baby quilts. I hope the migraine passed quickly.

Fannie said...

Hi, Carol. Thanks for the PC! I received it today. Beautiful.

TracyB said...

Hi Carol, received your wonderful card over the weekend!! It's absolutely beautiful!! Thank you!!

Nola said...

Rotten about the migraine!

Didn't the silk pieces turn out great? I really like the orange one, though I actually didn't mind it before you coloured it. But it turned out so well afterwards!

Dianne said...

They are all beautiful but I have to say the first one came out gorgeous...