Sunday 6 August 2006

Time to play

We had time to play yesterday. I took the habotai silk scarf from the pickling solution last night whilst waiting for the oven to bleep. I used the train wheels again for the rust dye because I still haven't found anything else that will rust!

This time I was trying to get a different texture rather than the round wheel print again. I soaked the scarf in vinegar/water solution and scrunched the scarf and put it on the inside of the wheel. I then put a wheel on top in effect sandwiching the silk between the two wheels. I poured on some more vinegar and left it. This piece has been pickling for about 4 days now I think. It makes a difference if the weather is cooler as it takes longer. I don't suppose I will get much rust dyeing done in the colder months. I can always read Kimberley's book which I have ordered Rust and Clay Dyeing.

I rinsed the scarf and whilst it was still wet I drizzled some Pebeo iron set silk paint onto it.

I got a great bargain at Miller's Art Shop on Friday. Norman found them in their discount basket. Pebeo silk paints for 50p a bottle so I just bought what was there. This was one of the reds. The result is very pleasing with light and dark painted areas. Deb in Alaska suggested I paint the silk velveteen with red but I decided to leave it as the colours were very rich as they were so I did this one instead.

I am making some more fabric postcards as the September deadline for the swap is fast approaching. I had planned on having my postcards finished by the end of May! I found a nice ink stamp and a Charles Rennie Machintosh stamp at the art shop. It's a lovely ink - aged paper type look. It works beautifully with the green rust dyed silk. I am making use of these samples I did a week or two ago.

I have also been making some more Aneglina fibre motifs. I have a lovely butterfly stamp which gives great detail in the Angelina fibres.
This one is on a batik background. I just need to do some stitching and perhaps I will stamp the background. I also did a motif using the Mackintosh stamp you see in the above picture but Picasa wouldn't let me download that one for some reason! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

platitudinal said...

The butterfly on the angelina fiber is simply beautiful! The combination of blue and green is captivating. :)

Carol said...

Thank you I love working with Angelina fibres.

Carol