Wednesday 3 January 2007

FFF Challenge # 4

The challenge for the Fast Friday Fabric Challenge #4 is to take the first or last lines from a favourite book and interpret it in fabric.

The first book that came to my mind, despite having read many, many authors, was Stephen King's "IT". I suspect because I am currently reading his new book that's why IT came to mind. IT was the very first Stephen King book I read many years ago. I have since read all of his books. My friend Janet introduced me to them when she learned I liked James Herbert books. She said if I liked James Herbert I would love Stephen King - she was right!

The first line of the book reads: "The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight-years - if it ever did end - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain."

I took the photograph of my sketchbook cover I made earlier into Paint Shop Pro to use as a background. I changed the colour to blue and added a wave filter to give the water effect. I then added the paper boat on a second layer, copied, pasted and flipped it onto a further layer. I added the twirl filter to the flipped image of the paper boat. I have printed it to EQ Printables fabric. It still has to be layered and quilted and is due by 6 January but I need to leave it for a little while to allow the dyes to dry. I am using an Epson R1800 to print my images to fabric. It has dyes rather than inks.

Playing with Text in PSP

I have just completed another two modules of the C&G course. This time we were designing usin the backgrounds we had created and adding text both in raster layers and vector layers. I decided to use the techniques to make some cards.


Putting text on a path is fun, it took a bit of getting used to but once you have mastered it it's great fun trying out different texts.

It's great fun taking painted and textured backgrounds into PSP and adding various filters and text. There are lots of fonts available.

This sample was made from the text below with a number of different filters applied. I desined a variety of different designs from it, you could go on forever.

Some of the source material for my course was photographs of Celtic designs I took on my visit to Holy Island. I thought this Celtic Knot font was appropriate to use to create different background designs. I am now moving on to the next activity in this module - 3D objects and design ideas for my first assessment piece. I have decided to make a book. I am just doing some research on ideas on how I want the book to look and I am working on the design work from my source material.

4 comments:

Tonniece said...

outstanding Carol, and in my fave color too.
I too love Stephen King, but haven't read any James Herber. Will have to get one of his books.

Tonniece

Purple Missus said...

Carol, I'm so amazed you read Stephen King & James Herbert! My DH has read all of their books too.
Anyway, really like your art piece, very imaginative.

Dianne said...

Your just having to much fun, I love the cards, and the one for the quilt is fabulous, what a mind you have and who would have know you like SPOOKY Steven King, I have also read his books. The Shining was the only book that really scared me, the movie didn't.. Well my dear you just keep having fun and we will keep being inspired..

Carol said...

Thanks ladies, I finished the quilting and binding this morning. I am enjoying using PSP in my work.

Suzanne, if only you had seen me yesterday. I went for my daily walk (6 miles) and just sat and read for the rest of the afternoon. I had to get going again this morning though.