Thursday, 15 March 2007

Patches Challenge

I have just been experimenting with the "patches" nedlefelt challenge. I started with a piece of that Lutrador-like fabric/paper (wish i knew what it was called). I bought a few more sheets yesterday in various colours. I started with gold today. I then layered a silk hanky. The silk hankies come in a few layers but I separated them and just used one. I felted it and added some squares of various fabrics: hand dyed silk velvet, metallic organza and pieces of felted fibres I received way back in 2005 from Ellen Slattery who felts what looks like knitted pieces.

I then added another layer of the hand dyed silk hanky. I love those skeleton leaves and so I added a couple to the corners of the piece, one underneath the silk fibres and one on top just to see what the difference would be. I felted both from the top and the back. By raising the distance of the needles from the fabric I felted those rather thick pieces of felt easily. The Babylock Embellisher has handled all of these fabrics very well without breaking any needles!

Here is a close up of the silk velvet. I must do something with those skeleton leaves and the embellisher. I need a box for my fabric postcards so I think that's what I am going to do next. Not today I need to go pack for class.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

I would like to be able to touch this piece, it has lovely texture, but again lots of work and it turned out great. Love to see the experimenting you do with the embelisher..

Shirley Goodwin said...

Lovely subtle colours!

Gunnels blog said...

This piece is beautiful!

Judy Scott said...

This is fabulous, I so want an embellisher when I see the gorgeousness you create! Jx