Sunday 18 February 2007

Painted Papers

This is just a quick explanation on how to use those embossed wallpapers to make your own painted papers. First of all you need a good embossed paper as I have above. You can visit your DIY store. You are sometimes allowed to take a small sample of their wallpapers and you only need a small piece. I make A4 (8 1/2" x 11") sized pieces.
Take a piece of your paper, I use cheap cartridge paper for artists, and using a wax crayon, rubbing wax or a candle make a rubbing of your embossed paper. You need to make sure you have a good coating of wax for this to work.
Paint the waxed paper with a light wash of paint of your choice, watercolour, acrylic or artists ink. The image above was made using childrens wax crayons and artists ink. I bought the chunky crayons and took the paper off so that I could make the rubbing using the flat side of the crayon. Don't be tempted to make a light rubbing or there won't be enough wax on the paper to act as a resist against the paints or inks.

I have a few in my workshop at the moment drying. I used distress inks and they are gorgeous colours. You can build up the colours with a variety of different colour to give a really nice rich look. I did some a while back and I put photos on my blog way back then. Check http://carolclasper.blogspot.com/2006/09/just-quick-visit.html

2 comments:

Purple Missus said...

What a good idea. Have never thought of this one before. Will certainly be using this technique and will probably slosh some bleach on for good measure:) Would you know what reaction, if any, you get with bleach and the distress inks Carol?

Carol said...

Hmm! HAdn't thought of adding bleach. I will try it and let you know.